Friday, December 16, 2011

Updated PDP

PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT PLAN

In reflecting on my professional development, I consider that my skills and competencies have developed significantly and that my level of responsibility has developed to reflect this. Medical school is a challenging task that will draw on my skills across a very broad range of areas. Majoring in biotechnology and aspiring to go to medical school has been stressful, however it has also been a very rewarding area of work and one that I feel has significantly developed my critical thinking skills and will provide a robust basis to further my professional development. I also believe that my experience at UW- STOUT has enabled me to start to develop a wider generic skill set through small class sizes, more one on one time with professors, and a hands on learning experience. This will provide a strong basis from which to develop my future career within medical school and my desired field.


STRENGTHS
• Well developed analytical and research skills
• Strong report writing/policy skills
• Strong interpersonal skills
• Events
WEAKNESSES
• Limited knowledge of hospital settings
• No direct line-management experience
• Need to develop skills in a professional hospital setting

OPPORTUNITIES
• Applied Science speaker series
• The Winter Marshfield Clinic Pre-med and Allied Health Experience
• internship
• research
THREATS
• experience
• internship
• Competition from recent increase in number of high calibre graduates applying for medical school


PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT PLAN

Period: October 2011 October 2015 date of next review: March 2015

WHERE AM I NOW?

Current job title and employer details
University of Wisconsin stout health and fitness center




Current job / role
Work with people to lose weight, desk attendant



Current strengths
• Analytical and research skills these were also significantly developed through my work as an undergraduate and have been critical in supporting my preparation for medical school
• Project management and collaborative working my project management through presenting my research project to the pre-medical health society has improved in terms of working with colleagues and working with administrators.


Current areas for development
• engaging and working with the local community as a volunteer – due to my role as a student there is limited time i have to volunteer. Winter break and summer break are the times that i would have the most time to offer to volunteer.
• Shadowing people in multiple fields including chemistry.
• Determine which field i would like to enter whether that be chemistry or medical personnel.
• Meet with anaesthesiologist


WHERE AM I GOING?
Long term goals
My long term goal is to graduate from medical school and specialize in oncology or anaesthesiology. While these are both ambitious goals. Look up several different jobs in the more chemical focused medical fields.

.
Short term goals
• I will develop my skills in terms of working with the local community and working with research opportunities offered at stout.
• I will apply to the The Winter Marshfield Clinic Pre-med and Allied Health Experience..
• Apply to be a lab tech
• Start research with dr. Pickart.


HOW WILL I GET THERE?



Objective 1: get a good mcat score

How will I get there? Start studying early. Maybe take a class from Princeton review or another mcat review program




Objective 2: raise gpa.


How will I get there? Follow study plan, make sure that test dates are known and start studying for test early, no late or missing assignments

Objective 3:.

How will I get there? Start research at stout. Get an internship at a hospital. Get a job at a hospital this summer.




1. Developing a plan with a mentor using individual and school assessments,
teacher standards, goals of the desired job area, school improvement plan.
2. Listing goals and prioritizing according to the standard indicated.
3. Giving headings to major goals with specific plans-of-action and strategies.
4. Identifying the resources needed to achieve the goals and the persons involved.
5. Reviewing the plan and supporting portfolio during specified dates to evaluate
success and redefine goals and plans-of-action.
6. Recording all information, books read, conferences attended and notes.

No comments:

Post a Comment